Descendants of James Sibbitt
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES1 SIBBITT.
Notes for JAMES SIBBITT:
Source: Wilmer Sibbitt
"Virtually all of the "Sibbits" and "Sibbitts" in the Midwest are descended from the brothers, Aaron and Solomon Sibbet.
Their father was the ancestral "James Sibbet", a Scots-Irish or Ulster Scot, who was a Presbyterian minister who lived near Belfast (probably in County Down), Northern Ireland. He immigrated to New Jersey sometime before the Revolutionary War, and that is why Aaron Sibbet and Solomon Sibbet are from New Jersey."
Child of JAMES SIBBITT is:
2. i. AARON2 SIBBITT, b. 1759, Trenton Twp., Hunterdon County, NJ.; d. Abt. 1816, Deerfield Twp., Warren County, Ohio.
Generation No. 2
2. AARON2 SIBBITT (JAMES1) was born 1759 in Trenton Twp., Hunterdon County, NJ., and died Abt. 1816 in Deerfield Twp., Warren County, Ohio. He married ELIZABETH MARLEN.
Notes for AARON SIBBITT:
Source: Biography of Richard Marlen Sibbitt, History of Carroll County, Indiana,
1882; Kingman Brothers, Chicago; page 341. This biography states that Aaron had 6 sons and 1 daughter. By occupation he was a farmer and he had fought in the Revolutionary War.
(Jackie Sibbitt indicated that Richard and Eli are brothers).
Names of children of Aaron and Elizabeth taken from Aaron's will. The will was recorded Feb. 13, 1816. (Source: A genealogical Index of Miami Valley Pioneers, Ohio.) The will was filed 12th July 1816 in Warren County, Ohio. Will book: Bk1, pp. 92-95.
Source of birth date and place: Wilmer L. Sibbitt, Jr. He also states the birth place could possibly be Ireland.
Children of AARON SIBBITT and ELIZABETH MARLEN are:
3. i. ELI3 SIBBITT, b. 1794, Hopewell Twp, Essex Co., NJ; d. 1839, Carroll County, IN.
4. ii. RICHARD M. SIBBITT, b. February 14, 1793, New Jersey; d. November 25, 1877, Carroll County, IN.
iii. NANCY SIBBITT.
iv. CORNELIUS SIBBITT.
v. GEORGE SIBBITT.
vi. WILLIAM SIBBITT.
vii. BENJAMIN SIBBITT.
Generation No. 3
3. ELI3 SIBBITT (AARON2, JAMES1) was born 1794 in Hopewell Twp, Essex Co., NJ, and died 1839 in Carroll County, IN. He married SARAH ANN SCOFIELD December 28, 1814 in Warren County, Ohio.
Notes for ELI SIBBITT:
Information concerning names of children and wife from Wills of Carroll, Co., IN 1830-1897. Exec. of will was Richard Sibbitt. Will is dated January 8, 1839.
In 1830 census there are no Sibbitts listed in Indiana. (There is a Benjamin Greathouse listed in Carroll County.)
NEED TO CHECK---In 1840 census in the Benjamin Greathouse household the following are listed: 1 male 5-10 (Benjamin Sibbitt), 1 male 10-15 (Alvah Sibbitt), 1 male 15-20 (Aaron Sibbitt), 1 male 50-60 (Benjamin Greathouse), 1 female 5-10 (Amanda Sibbitt), 1 female 10-15 (Matilda Sibbitt), 1 female 10-50 (Sarah Sibbitt Greathouse).
In the 1850 census of Jefferson Township, Carroll Co., Benjamin, 16, born in Ohio, is living with Benjamin Greathouse and Sarah who were married August 10, 1850. Need to check to see if Sarah Sibbitt, wife of Eli, married a Greathouse after Eli died.
The birth date, death date, place of birth and death are taken from "The Aaron Sibbet Family and the Sibbets of New Jersey"--compiled by Wilmer L. Sibbitt, Jr.
WILL OF ELI SIBBITT
Be it known to all whom it may concern that I, Eli Sibbitt, of Tippacanoe [sic}
Township, Carroll County & State of Indiana being weak in body but sound in mind do make this my last will & testament this 8th day of January 1839-revoking all others, as follows: to wit firstly I hereby will & bequeath to my eldest daughter Nancy now the wife of Joseph Goulder five dollars-secondly I hereby will and bequeath to my second daughter Mary now the wife of Joshua Leonard five dollars. Thirdly I hereby will & bequeath to my third daughter Letty Ann now the wife of Demis Strighker five dollars. Fourthly I hereby will & bequeath to my fourth daughter Elizabeth now the wife of Eli Greathouse five dollars; fifthly I hereby will & bequeath to my eldest son Aaron Sibbitt five dollars; sixthly I hereby will & bequeath to my second son George Sibbitt five dollars, the above bequests to be paid one year from this date. Seventhly I hereby will and bequeath all that shall remain of my property both real and personal after my debts are paid to my beloved wife Sarah Ann Sibbitt to be and remain hers during her natural life with power to sell and convey the same and the proceeds at her death decease to be equally divided among my four youngest children. Namely my third son Alvah Sibbitt, my fifth daughter Matilda Sibbitt, my sixth daughter Amanda Sibbitt & my fourth son Benjamin Sibbitt, to be and remain theirs forever: lastly I hereby appoint Richard Sibbitt Excecutor and my beloved wife Sarah Ann Excecutrese to this my last will and testament. --Eli Sibbitt
Signed and Sealed this 8th day of January 1839 in the presence of Benjamin Greathouse and John F. Taylor
More About ELI SIBBITT:
Fact 1: Need to check this book again for spellings of names.
Notes for SARAH ANN SCOFIELD:
Believe Eli lived in Warren Co, Ohio. Need to check records there. Also, not sure if Sarah was his first and only wife. He was married to a ______ Scofield, but not sure if this was Sarah, the wife listed in his will. Sarah probably was married to Eli Sibbitt and when he died, she married Benjamin Greathouse. In the 1840 census in the Benjamin Greathouse household there is 1 male 5-10 (Benjamin Sibbitt?), 1 male 10-15 (Alvah Sibbitt?), 1 male 15-20 (Aaron Sibbitt?), 1 male 50-60 (Benjamin Greathouse), 1 female 5-10 (Amanda Sibbitt?), 1 female 10-15 (Matilda Sibbitt?), and 1 female 10-50 (Sarah Sibbitt Greathouse?) All the dependant Sibbitt children at the time of their father's death would fit this census. Also, Benjamin Greathouse only had three children, the youngest being Eli who was out on his own by this time as were the other of his children.
Marriage Notes for ELI SIBBITT and SARAH SCOFIELD:
Marriage record from Groom's Index Marriage Record (Warren County, Ohio).
Children of ELI SIBBITT and SARAH SCOFIELD are:
i. NANCY4 SIBBITT, m. JOSEPH GOULDER.
ii. MARY SIBBITT, m. JOSHUA LEONARD.
iii. LETTY ANN SIBBITT, m. DEMIS STRIGKER.
iv. ELIZABETH SIBBITT, m. (1) ELI GREATHOUSE; m. (2) JACOB CULVER.
Notes for ELIZABETH SIBBITT:
NEED TO CHECK--In 1850 census Elizabeth Sibbitt Greathouse has married Jacob Culver after the death of Eli. Amanda Sibbitt is living with her sister Elizabeth.
NEED TO CHECK----1850 census for Eli Greathouse and Elizabeth Sibbitt and her children.
v. AARON SIBBITT.
vi. GEORGE SIBBITT.
5. vii. ALVAH SIBBITT, b. July 02, 1828, Ohio; d. March 20, 1899, Burlington Twp., Carroll Co., IN. Buried at Ball Hill..
viii. MATILDA SIBBITT.
ix. AMANDA SIBBITT.
Notes for AMANDA SIBBITT:
In the 1850 census in Carroll Co., Amanda is now living with her sister Elizabeth Sibbitt Greathouse Culver.
6. x. BENJAMIN SIBBITT, b. 1834, Marion County, Ohio; d. May 1907, Maywood, NEbraska.
4. RICHARD M.3 SIBBITT (AARON2, JAMES1) was born February 14, 1793 in New Jersey, and died November 25, 1877 in Carroll County, IN. He married (1) LETTY STRIGKER February 27, 1817. He married (2) SARAH TOMLINSON July 14, 1864.
Notes for RICHARD M. SIBBITT:
Source: History of Carroll County, Indiana, 1882. Kingman Brothers, Chicago, page 341.
This biography states that Richard was of Scotch lineage. He came to Carroll county, IN, in 1830, and, excepting two years lived from 1837 to the end of his life on the farm in Tippecanoe Township.
Source: Cemetery Records of Caroll Co., IN DAR Vol I, p 46. Buried at Masonic Cemetery. Age 84 yrs 8 m 11 da.
In an article from the History of Carroll County, it states that Richard was one of six sons and one daugther of Aaron Sibbitt and Elizabeth Marlen Sibbitt. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. His
second wife applied for a pension. Copies of his war records (source: Rita Merrills (descendent of Elizabeth Sibbitt Greathouse) show that he was married twice and had two sons. The papers also state he volunteered in Warren Co., Ohio. His first wife was Letty Stryker and his second wife was Sarah Tomlinson.
Children of RICHARD SIBBITT and SARAH TOMLINSON are:
i. MARLEN RICHARD4 SIBBITT, b. 1865; d. 1897, Carroll Co., IN..
ii. ALBERT CLIFTON SIBBITT, b. September 19, 1969.
iii. FLORA A. SIBBITT, b. 1867; d. 1869.
iv. HARRY LEON SIBBITT, b. 1871; d. September 20, 1872, Carroll Co., IN..
Generation No. 4
5. ALVAH4 SIBBITT (ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born July 02, 1828 in Ohio, and died March 20, 1899 in Burlington Twp., Carroll Co., IN. Buried at Ball Hill.. He married (1) JANE JENNINGS December 16, 1849, daughter of AMOS JENNINGS and HANNAH PATTERSON. He married (2) LYDIA GAUMER June 14, 1888 in Carroll County, IN.
Notes for ALVAH SIBBITT:
In 1850 census found Alva Sibbitt, age 23, and Jane Sibbitt, age 17.
Found in 1860 Indiana census, Carroll County, Democrat Twp., Prince William. (Prince William is northeast of Rossville close to the Wildcat Creek, but still in Carroll County.): Alva, age 34; Jane, 27; G. A., male, 9; W. B., male, 5; and L. M., female, 3.
Information on Alvah Sibbitt found at Carroll County, IN, Historical Museum.
Copy of obituary from Fountain City Enterprise newspaper (at Carroll County Museum: Alvah Sibbitt born July 2, 1828 and died Monday, March 20, 1899, in his home in Burlington Township. Cause of death was given as stroke. Age 71 yrs, 8 mos, 18 days. Burial at Ball Hill Cemetery. Funeral held in his home. Survivors: his wife and 3 children. Was a member of the M.E. Church. Dated March 24, 1899. (The curator of the museum told Norman and Barbara Lee that a copy of this paper was found in a dumpster.)
Information is now on an index card at the museum in Carroll Co., IN.
Marriage to Lydia Gaumer found in Marriage Records, Carroll Co., IN.
Probate book U, P. 266, 364. Carroll Co, IN concerns Alvah Sibbitt's estate.
Lydia M. Unger - Adm.
Estate vs Lydia Unger, Lydia Sibbitt, Edna M. Sibbitt, Wm Sibbitt, Ella Sibbitt, Clura Lee, Geo. Lee, Flossie and David Summe, Golda and Frank Wilson, George Sibbitt, Wm. Sibbitt, James Sibbitt, Andrew Sibbitt, El. Logan, Wm Unger, Frances and Elizabeth Speer. Property sold to Agnes McCarty 12/2/1899 for $2025. Prop. described 1/24/1890. $150 allowed for monument, 4/16/1900.
Bk U, p 383 report 5/28/1900. P. 423 final distribution 6/21/1900.
Distribution: Lydia Sibbitt (now Long), $92.40. Wm. Sibbitt, Lydia M. Unger and Edna M. Sibbitt, $46.20 each. Clura Lee, Flossie Summe, Golda Wilson, Georgia Sibbitt, Wm. Sibbitt, James Sibbitt, and Andrew Sibbitt, $6.60 each.
Buried at Ball Hill Cemetery in Carroll County, IN. On stone it is written that he died at age 71 y, 8 m, 18 d.
Source: Fountain City Enterprise, March 24, 1899, obituary. States he is survived by his wife, and 3 children. Religion--M.E. Church. Cause of death was a stroke.
In Delphi Times, Nov. 21, 1890: Sibbitt, Ervan A. (Irwin A.), Nov. 12, 1890 about 6 mo old, parents Alva and Lydia A. Sibbitt, buried at Ball Hill Cemetery. Could this be a child of Alvah and his second wife Lydia???
More About ALVAH SIBBITT:
Cause of Death: stroke.
Notes for JANE JENNINGS:
Have seen some references to wife of Alvah as Eliza. Could her name have been
Eliza Jane and she went by name of Jane?
Buried at Ball Hill Cemetery in Carroll County, IN. On stone it is written that she died at the age of 54 y, 8 m, 1 d.
Notes for LYDIA GAUMER:
Info. on marriage to Wm Long from Hoosier Democrat, October 28, 1899.
Children of ALVAH SIBBITT and JANE JENNINGS are:
7. i. GEORGE ALLEN5 SIBBITT, b. April 13, 1851, Carroll County, IN; d. October 29, 1893, Carroll Co., IN. Buried at Ball Hill Cemetery.
8. ii. WILLIAM B. SIBBITT, b. January 19, 1855, Carroll County, IN. Burlington Twp.; d. September 21, 1946, at home in Cutler, IN. Buried at Ball Hill Cemetery.
iii. LYDIA M. SIBBITT, b. 1857; m. WILLIAM R. UNGER, August 28, 1878, Carroll County, IN.
Notes for LYDIA M. SIBBITT:
Delphi Times, August 30, 1878, lists Lydia M. Sibbitt and Wm P. Unger having marriage license issued.
6. BENJAMIN4 SIBBITT (ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born 1834 in Marion County, Ohio, and died May 1907 in Maywood, NEbraska. He married (1) EMERETTE LEMMING. He married (2) MARGARET SPENCER 1850 in Polk County, Iowa.
Notes for BENJAMIN SIBBITT:
The information on the descendents of Benjamin Sibbitt were given to me(Norman K. Lee ) by Robert and Gladys Sibbitt and their daughter-in-law, Jackie Sibbitt and son Bill Sibbitt. William is a descendent of Benjamin.
More About BENJAMIN SIBBITT:
Fact 1: Buried in Indianola Cemetery, Indianola, NE
More About EMERETTE LEMMING:
Fact 1: Last name may be Lamming
More About MARGARET SPENCER:
Fact 1: Buried in Indianola Cemetery, Indianola, NE
Child of BENJAMIN SIBBITT and EMERETTE LEMMING is:
9. i. ERNEST LOUIS5 SIBBITT, b. 1887, Maywood, Nebraska; d. 1959, Omaha, NE.
Children of BENJAMIN SIBBITT and MARGARET SPENCER are:
ii. CARLOS CHESTER5 SIBBITT.
iii. FRANK SIBBITT, d. 1887.
More About FRANK SIBBITT:
Fact 1: Buried in Indianola Cemetery, Indianola, NE
iv. KATIE SIBBITT.
Generation No. 5
7. GEORGE ALLEN5 SIBBITT (ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born April 13, 1851 in Carroll County, IN, and died October 29, 1893 in Carroll Co., IN. Buried at Ball Hill Cemetery. He married SARAH ELLEN SHAFFER October 12, 1871 in Carroll County, IN, Burlington, daughter of HENRY SHAFFER and ANNA KINZER.
Notes for GEORGE ALLEN SIBBITT:
A note written by Sarah Ellen Shaffer Sibbitt (held by Norman Lee) says that George died of tifoide fevor [typhoid fever].
The names and birth dates are from a sheet from the family bible. (Norman Lee)
His tombstone says he died October 27, 1893. Page from family bible gives date of death as October 29, 1893.
To reach Ball Hill Cemetery in Carroll Co., IN, turn north at Geetingsville. Drive past the Geetingsville and Hyde Park Cemeteries. Drive several miles to 550 S.
Turn left (West) and drive straight to the cemetery.
Source for marriage dates of George and Sarah Sibbitt and their children:
Index to Marriage Records, Carroll County, IN 1950-1920, WPA
Page from family bible gives marriage date of George and Sarah.
Page in bible gives birthdates of George and Sarah and lists all of their children and gives their birthdates.
The 1850 Clinton Co. census shows Sarah Ellen as being 4 years old. This must be a mistake because the family bible has her birth date as June 7, 1849. It also states that she died Jan 31, 1932, at the age of 82 years, 7 months, and 24 days. This would make her 1 year old in 1850----not 4 years old.
From Hoosier Democrat newspaper (February 6, 1932) obit of Sarah Ellen it states that she died at her home due to pneumonia. She was a member of the Ball Hill Church.
It lists her parents as Henry Franklin and Anna (Kinzer) Shaffer. Mrs. Sibbitt would often tell stories about her grandfather's experiences in the Revolutionary War and those of her uncle's in the War of 1812. She was the 10th child born. When 3 years old, they moved to a farm south of Ball Hill Church and she and her sister, Caroline, cooked for the men who built the Ball Hill Church.
States she was born at home near Walnut Stump. Gives survivors as Golda Wilson, Flossie Summe, James, Andrew, and Georgia. Children Clura and Wm are listed as deceased.
Family bible gives date of death as January 31, 1932. Age 82 years 7 months 24 days.
Marriage Notes for GEORGE SIBBITT and SARAH SHAFFER:
The information concerning this marriage is taken from a sheet of the family bible. (Norman Lee)
Children of GEORGE SIBBITT and SARAH SHAFFER are:
10. i. CLURA H.6 SIBBITT, b. April 10, 1873, Carroll County, IN; d. February 21, 1927, Clinton Co., IN, Buried at Ball Hill in Carroll, Co..
11. ii. FLOSSA A. SIBBITT, b. September 21, 1875.
12. iii. GOLDA J. SIBBITT, b. February 20, 1878; d. 1965.
iv. GEORGIA A. SIBBITT, b. March 20, 1880.
Notes for GEORGIA A. SIBBITT:
From a written list of family members, someone has written by Georgie's name "State Hospital, Indpls, Ind."
Did not marry.
13. v. WILLIAM L. SIBBITT, b. February 27, 1882, Howard County, IN; d. March 09, 1924, Camden, IN. Buried at Maple Lawn Cemetery.
14. vi. JAMES D. SIBBITT, b. December 01, 1883; d. February 22, 1944, Greenwood, IN (dau. home). Buried at Maple Lawn Cemetery..
vii. ANDREW G. SIBBITT, b. May 29, 1888; d. August 21, 1962, Rock Creek Cemetery, Carroll Co., IN.. Across road from Faith Lutheran Church.; m. HAZEL STERRETT.
Notes for ANDREW G. SIBBITT:
Andrew and Hazel had no children.
They are buried in Carroll County at a cemetery north of Logansport visible from SR 29 on west side of road. The cemetery is named Rock Creek Cemetery. The services were held at the Mount Pisgah Lutheran Church. (Source: In Remembrance card given out at funeral home.)
Note: Rock Creek Cemetery is across from Faith Lutheran Church which is north of Deer Creek. Turn left off of Hwy 29 to get to cemetery.
8. WILLIAM B.5 SIBBITT (ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born January 19, 1855 in Carroll County, IN. Burlington Twp., and died September 21, 1946 in at home in Cutler, IN. Buried at Ball Hill Cemetery. He married EMILINE MCDONALD August 28, 1879 in Carroll County, IN, daughter of DAVID MCDONALD and ELIZA GANT.
Notes for WILLIAM B. SIBBITT:
From History of Carroll Co., 1916, Odell
William B. Sibbitt 1/19/1855 son of Alva and Elza (Jennings) Sibbitt, both born in Ohio. W.B. married Emma (Emiline) McDonald. Children: Emma ( ), Vera (m. John Shanklin), Alva (m Emma Tenbrook), Blanche (m Charles Mann), Edward, Fern (m Dr. O. V. Kingery), Ethel (m. ? Cleaver), Guy, Carl, Elmer.
From obit. in Camden Record News (September 26, 1946), this information is
given. Died at the age of 91 yrs. 8 mos and 2 days. His parents were Alva [sic] and Jane (Jennings) Sibbitt. His wife is listed as Emma McDonald. He was survived by his wife and 8 children. (Names of children listed on family page.) In obit., it states that Vera's married name is Pitman. Lists age as 91 yrs. 8 mos. and 2 days.
In Alva D. Sibbitt's obit. ( Hoosier Democrat) his surviving brothers and sisters are listed as Edward, Guy, Elmer, Mrs. Chas. Mann, Mrs. O.V. Kingery, and Mrs. Closs Cleaver.
Source: Marriage Records, Carroll Co., IN Book 7, P. 446
More About EMILINE MCDONALD:
Fact 1: In some references called Emma
Children of WILLIAM SIBBITT and EMILINE MCDONALD are:
i. VERA F.6 SIBBITT, m. JOHN C. SHANKLIN, February 22, 1898, Carroll County, IN.
Notes for VERA F. SIBBITT:
In Marriage Records, Carroll Co., IN. there is a Vera Sibbitt listed as marrying John C. Shanklin on Feb. 22, 1898. Book 10, p. 590.
More About VERA F. SIBBITT:
Fact 1: Indication in some sources that Vera may have been married to Chas. L. Shanklin.
ii. FERN SIBBITT, m. OLIVER V. KINGERY, March 26, 1910, Carroll County, IN.
Notes for FERN SIBBITT:
Source: Marriage Records, Carroll Co., IN. Book 15, P. 177.
15. iii. EDWARD SIBBITT.
16. iv. ALVA D. SIBBITT, b. December 16, 1881, Carroll County, IN; d. June 18, 1956, Paoli, IN Buried at Paoli Cemetery.
v. BLANCHE SIBBITT, m. CHARLES MANN, October 31, 1903.
Notes for BLANCHE SIBBITT:
Source: Marriage Records, Carroll Co., IN
vi. GUY SIBBITT.
vii. ELMER R. SIBBITT.
viii. ETHEL SIBBITT, m. CLOSS E. CLEAVER.
17. ix. CARL W. SIBBITT, b. January 12, 1896, Carroll County, IN Near Cutler, IN; d. September 06, 1945, Fickle, IN. Buried at Bunnell Cemetery.
9. ERNEST LOUIS5 SIBBITT (BENJAMIN4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born 1887 in Maywood, Nebraska, and died 1959 in Omaha, NE. He married MAUDE MAE MCCLURE.
Notes for ERNEST LOUIS SIBBITT:
One source (Jackie Sibbitt) states he was born in Indianola, NE
Child of ERNEST SIBBITT and MAUDE MCCLURE is:
18. i. BERNARD FRANKLIN6 SIBBITT, b. Maywood, Nebraska; d. Hot Springs, AR.
Generation No. 6
10. CLURA H.6 SIBBITT (GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born April 10, 1873 in Carroll County, IN, and died February 21, 1927 in Clinton Co., IN, Buried at Ball Hill in Carroll, Co.. She married GEORGE NATHANIEL LEE August 28, 1890 in Carroll County, IN.
Notes for CLURA H. SIBBITT:
Judy Carroll Dutton said that her mother, Inez Lee Carroll (daughter of Clura), told her that Clura's middle name was Henry. She was named after her grandfather Henry Franklin Shaffer.
Clura died in a car wreck.
Following taken from copy of newspaper clipping:
Mrs. Clura Lee, wife of George Lee, residing one and one-half miles east of Rossville, was instantly killed shortly after three o'clock yesterday afternoon, when the Ford touring car in which she was riding with her husband went into a rut on the Farmers' gravel road, near the Martin Hurd farm, eight miles northwest of this city and then plunged into a small ditch.
With her husband, Mrs. Lee had been visiting at the home of relatives and had started for their home in order to arrive before dark to do up their farm work.
At a point on the road near the Armstrong camp, Mr. Lee got his car into a rut and lost control of it. The car, a Ford touring, in coming out of the rut, plunged across the road and into the shallow ditch and turned over.
Mr. Lee crawled out from under the car, but the weight of the auto fell unto Mrs. Lee and her body was crushed about the lungs. People nearby who were called aided in removing the body from the wreckage and placed it in another car and drove to the home of a daughter, Mrs. William Leader, on the Gas Line road, several miles north of the scene of the accident, and Drs. Kuhns and Kent, of Mulberry, were summoned and arriving at the home, found that death had been instantaneous.
Coroner Frank Strange, of this city, went to the scene of the accident and viewed the body and gave his permission for its removal to the L. E. Moore morgue at Rossville to be prepared for burial.
Mrs. Lee was 52 years of age. She was widely known and held in highest esteem in the community in which she had made her home for many years. News of her death proved a great shock to her many friends. The husband was prostrated over the accident and his wife's death and was unable to give a clear account of the details that led up to the ditching of the car.
Mr. and Mrs. Lee were married on August 28, 1890 and for a time resided in Carroll County. They moved to Clinton County in 1899 and since that time had been residents of the county. Mrs. Lee was a member of the M.E. church at Rossville. The funeral will be held sometime Wednesday, but the hour had not been set up to a late hour last night.
Mrs. Lee is survived by the husband, four sons, Earl Lee of Chicago, Harvey, Joe and Paul, at home; three daughters, Mrs. Will Leader, to whose home the body was taken after the fatal accident; Mrs. Clifford Bosworth, of near Mulberry, and Inez, at home; her mother, Mrs. Ellen Sibbitt, of near Bringhurst; three sisters, Mrs. Frank Wilson, of Hanover, Ind.; Mrs. David Summers [sic[, of Young America, and Georgia Sibbitt, of Bringhurst; two brothers, Andrew Sibbitt of near Bringhurst, and James Sibbitt, of Deer Creek. Mrs. J. C. Shanklin and Dr. C.W. Sibbitt, of this city, are first cousins.
Page from family bible gives marriage date as August, 28, 1892
Children of CLURA SIBBITT and GEORGE LEE are:
19. i. HARVEY GEORGE7 LEE, b. July 29, 1891, Carroll County, IN; d. July 12, 1965, Clinton Co., IN. Buried at Geetingsville Cemetery.
ii. ROSA JANE LEE, b. February 14, 1893; d. Carroll County, IN. Buried at Ball Hill; m. CLIFF BOSWORTH.
iii. OLA ELLEN LEE, b. January 05, 1895; d. Clinton Co., IN Buried at St. Luke, SR 39..
iv. EARL GEORGE WASHINGTON LEE, b. February 22, 1898.
v. ALONZA (LONNIE) LEE, b. March 20, 1900; d. Buried at Ball Hill, Carroll Co., IN.
More About ALONZA (LONNIE) LEE:
Fact 1: Died in the flu epidemic
vi. LOVA LEE, b. July 12, 1901.
vii. LAURA E. LEE, b. December 29, 1903; d. Buried at Ball Hill, Carroll Co., IN.
viii. JOSEPH JOHN LEE, b. June 17, 1906.
ix. PAUL WILLIAM LEE, b. June 13, 1910.
x. INEZ MARIE LEE, b. October 21, 1912.
11. FLOSSA A.6 SIBBITT (GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born September 21, 1875. She married DAVID SUMME October 27, 1898 in Carroll County, IN.
Children of FLOSSA SIBBITT and DAVID SUMME are:
20. i. ROLLA7 SUMME.
ii. ROBERT D. SUMME, b. August 27, 1902; d. June 14, 1975.
Notes for ROBERT D. SUMME:
Services conducted by Neptune Funderal Home, Burlington, IN. Final resting place: Mound Cemetery, Howard County, IN. (Source: In Remebrance given out at funeral home.)
12. GOLDA J.6 SIBBITT (GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born February 20, 1878, and died 1965. She married FRANKLIN L. WILSON September 25, 1897 in Carroll County, IN.
Children of GOLDA SIBBITT and FRANKLIN WILSON are:
i. RALPH7 WILSON, b. September 18, 1909; d. February 06, 1977.
ii. LENA WILSON.
iii. ORVAL WILSON.
13. WILLIAM L.6 SIBBITT (GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born February 27, 1882 in Howard County, IN, and died March 09, 1924 in Camden, IN. Buried at Maple Lawn Cemetery. He married LENNA SILVESTER December 28, 1905 in Carroll County, IN.
Notes for WILLIAM L. SIBBITT:
From Hoosier Democrat obit of Lenna Sibbitt, the daughters are listed as Mrs. Emerson Everett of Cutler and Mrs. Owen Britton of Logansport. Jan. 4, 1947 paper.
Marriage date of William L. Sibbitt and Lenna (Lennie) Sylvester given in Camden Expositor, Jan 4., 1906. Married at bride's home in Flora, IN.
Obit. information from Hoosier Democrat, March 15, 1924. It says Mr. Sibbett (Sibbitt) had been employed in a barber shop at Delphi, IN, for the past few weeks. He died at the age of 42 yrs and 11 days. Gives cause of death as heart trouble.
In the Camden Record (March 13, 1824), the cause of death is given as paralysis. It says he died at his home in Flora and was 39 yrs old and 18 days.
Both sources give place of birth as Howard Co., IN.
Page from Sibbitt family bible gives date of birth as February 27, 1882 and date of death as March 9, 1924.
More About WILLIAM L. SIBBITT:
Cause of Death: Heart trouble.
Notes for LENNA SILVESTER:
Information from obit. in Hoosier Democrat . (January 4, 1947)
More About LENNA SILVESTER:
Fact 1: Funeral held at Camden Methodist Church.
Fact 2: Name also given in other sources as Lena.
Fact 3: In Sibbitt family bible, name written as Lennie.
Children of WILLIAM SIBBITT and LENNA SILVESTER are:
i. ORLANDO B.7 SIBBITT, b. January 10, 1916, Deer Creek; m. LUCY DENTON, December 24, 1934, Lafayette, IN.
Notes for ORLANDO B. SIBBITT:
Date of birth given in Hoosier Democrat in January 22, 1916 issue. To Mr. and Mrs. Will Sibbett [sic] of Deer Creek on January 10, 1916. He was named "Orlando B."
Source: Hoosier Democrat, December 29, 1934. Announcement of marriage to Lucy Denton, d/o Mr. and Mrs. Wm Denton of Flora, IN. They will reside with the groom's mother.
ii. DAUGHTER SIBBITT, m. OWEN BRITTON.
iii. DAUGHTER SIBBITT, m. EMERSON EVERETT.
14. JAMES D.6 SIBBITT (GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born December 01, 1883, and died February 22, 1944 in Greenwood, IN (dau. home). Buried at Maple Lawn Cemetery.. He married ALTA HAMM September 20, 1906 in Carroll County, IN.
Notes for JAMES D. SIBBITT:
Information concerning James D. Sibbitt and names of children from his obit. which was published in the Hoosier Democrat newspaper, February 26, 1944. States that he had one surviving sister, Goldie Wilson of Hanover, and one surviving brother, Andrew of Camden.
Notes for ALTA HAMM:
Source: Hoosier Democrat obituary, October 18, 1941. Lists name of children, husband, etc.
Children of JAMES SIBBITT and ALTA HAMM are:
i. ERMA7 SIBBITT.
ii. RAYMOND SIBBITT.
21. iii. ARDATH SIBBITT.
iv. EMMA SIBBITT, m. HAMMOND.
v. GERALD SIBBITT.
15. EDWARD6 SIBBITT (WILLIAM B.5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1). He married CORA G. FLORA December 25, 1915 in M.E. Parsonage in Delphi.
Notes for EDWARD SIBBITT:
Announcement of marriage in Hoosier Democrat, January 1, 1916, states that he is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. B. Sibbett [sic] of near Cutler.
More About EDWARD SIBBITT:
Fact 1: His name is probably Charles Edward Sibbitt. Need to check.
More About CORA G. FLORA:
Fact 1: Daughter of George Flora of Flora, IN
Children of EDWARD SIBBITT and CORA FLORA are:
i. EVA LOU7 SIBBITT.
ii. MARY ANN SIBBITT, b. October 17, 1924.
Notes for MARY ANN SIBBITT:
Source: birth announcemnt in Hoosier Democrat, October 25, 1924
16. ALVA D.6 SIBBITT (WILLIAM B.5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born December 16, 1881 in Carroll County, IN, and died June 18, 1956 in Paoli, IN Buried at Paoli Cemetery. He married EMMA H. TENBROOK October 17, 1907 in Carroll County, IN.
Notes for ALVA D. SIBBITT:
Source: Obituary in Hoosier Democrat, June 28, 1956. This gives surviving sisters as Mrs. Charles Mann of near Cutler, Mrs. O.V. Kingery of Frankfort, and Mrs. Closs Cleaver of Tampa, Florida. Surviving brothers are Edward, Guy and Elmer.
Source: Marriage Records, Carroll Co., IN Book 14, P. 80.
Children of ALVA SIBBITT and EMMA TENBROOK are:
i. ALVA L.7 SIBBITT.
ii. DAUGHTER SIBBITT, m. TONY WAKIN.
17. CARL W.6 SIBBITT (WILLIAM B.5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born January 12, 1896 in Carroll County, IN Near Cutler, IN, and died September 06, 1945 in Fickle, IN. Buried at Bunnell Cemetery. He married RUTH E. MCBRIDE September 15, 1920.
Notes for CARL W. SIBBITT:
Source: Obit in Hoosier Democrat, September 15, 1945.
"He graduated from Indiana University of Dentistry in 1919 and practiced in Frankfort until one year ago when his health compelled his retirement."
More About CARL W. SIBBITT:
Fact 1: Dr. Carl W. Sibbitt
Children of CARL SIBBITT and RUTH MCBRIDE are:
i. JOE W.7 SIBBITT.
ii. BARBARA S. SIBBITT.
18. BERNARD FRANKLIN6 SIBBITT (ERNEST LOUIS5, BENJAMIN4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born in Maywood, Nebraska, and died in Hot Springs, AR. He married SALLY CECELIA FRIEDA CARLSON in Omaha, NE.
Children of BERNARD SIBBITT and SALLY CARLSON are:
i. RICHARD7 SIBBITT, b. April 19, 1933.
ii. ROBERT SIBBITT, b. December 19, 1940.
Generation No. 7
19. HARVEY GEORGE7 LEE (CLURA H.6 SIBBITT, GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born July 29, 1891 in Carroll County, IN, and died July 12, 1965 in Clinton Co., IN. Buried at Geetingsville Cemetery. He married ADELINE MAE ROBISON August 17, 1929.
Notes for HARVEY GEORGE LEE:
See Lee history for other children in family.
Died as a result of an automobile accident. Was hit by a drunk driver.
Children of HARVEY LEE and ADELINE ROBISON are:
22. i. NORMAN KEITH8 LEE, b. February 03, 1934, Clinton Co., IN.
23. ii. PHILIP KENTON LEE, b. July 30, 1935, Clinton Co., IN.
20. ROLLA7 SUMME (FLOSSA A.6 SIBBITT, GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1). He married ESTHER SINK February 26, 1931 in Flora, IN.
Notes for ROLLA SUMME:
They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday, February 22, 1981, at their home at 13413 W. Judson Rd., Kokomo, IN.
More About ROLLA SUMME:
Fact 1: Well driller and farmer.
Children of ROLLA SUMME and ESTHER SINK are:
i. DAVID8 SUMME.
ii. RICHARD SUMME.
21. ARDATH7 SIBBITT (JAMES D.6, GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1). She married GEORGE MARSHALL HAWORTH.
Child of ARDATH SIBBITT and GEORGE HAWORTH is:
i. JUDITH ANN8 HAWORTH.
Generation No. 8
22. NORMAN KEITH8 LEE (HARVEY GEORGE7, CLURA H.6 SIBBITT, GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born February 03, 1934 in Clinton Co., IN. He married BARBARA JEAN ROBISON June 11, 1956 in Jefferson Co., IN.
Children of NORMAN LEE and BARBARA ROBISON are:
i. MICHAEL DAVID9 LEE, b. March 21, 1958, Nashville, TN., Vanderbilt Hospital; m. SANDRA LEE CALVENEAU, June 17, 1995.
24. ii. BRUCE KEVIN LEE, b. June 17, 1960, Muncie, IN. Ball Hospital.
23. PHILIP KENTON8 LEE (HARVEY GEORGE7, CLURA H.6 SIBBITT, GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born July 30, 1935 in Clinton Co., IN. He married MARTHA ANN OLIVER September 01, 1957.
Children of PHILIP LEE and MARTHA OLIVER are:
i. KATHRYN SUE9 LEE, b. December 02, 1958, Knoxville, Tennessee; m. JOHN PETER REINEKING, June 15, 1991, St. Louis, MO.
ii. JOHN KENNETH LEE, b. January 30, 1960, Los Alamos, New Mexico; m. MEMOREE DESPAIN, September 16, 1989, Columbia, MO.
Generation No. 9
24. BRUCE KEVIN9 LEE (NORMAN KEITH8, HARVEY GEORGE7, CLURA H.6 SIBBITT, GEORGE ALLEN5, ALVAH4, ELI3, AARON2, JAMES1) was born June 17, 1960 in Muncie, IN. Ball Hospital. He married MARTHA MARY HUNDLEY.
Children of BRUCE LEE and MARTHA HUNDLEY are:
i. JEFFREY ALLEN10 LEE, b. February 06, 1984.
ii. SARAH ROSE KATHERINE LEE, b. February 24, 1998.